Where am I right now?

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Netherlands – Amsterdam and the Dutch countryside

Usually as I write these entries I flip through my pictures in chronological order so I can freshen my memory of the last week or so.  As I write this I am flipping through my recent 6 days in Amsterdam and noticing there isn't a single shot of me out on the town at night.  There’s a reason for this, I assure you.  I don’t bring my camera out to bars or pubs or any place where I may have a few drinks for one reason alone.  I will lose it.  If it’s not attached to my body when I have a few drinks, I will forget it behind (this includes jackets, hats, capes etc).  I've met several people who have lost their camera and with it weeks (sometimes months) of pictures and videos.  I’m not too concerned much about losing those as I back them up almost daily to my computer as well as online.  I’m more concerned of just losing a moderately expensive camera.  The odd "night out" picture that pops up on here or on Facebook are from other people that I've kept in touch with.

So anyways I took a 3 hour train from Bruges to Amsterdam...the city filled with green and red.  Like Vegas, Amsterdam is one of those cities that seems to never sleep, and is always partying.  During the day it resembles other 'medieval' type cities in Europe.  The locals are making their ways to work, the tourists of varying ages are taking canal tours or city walks.  People are generally going about their day and the city is relatively tame (even in the red light district).



Dam Square
However when it starts to get dark out, the gloves come off and the city comes alive.  Smoke fills the air, red lights draw your attention and the streets are filled with stag parties, pub crawlers and absolute chaos.  It’s best to just give in and join the madness; otherwise it’s like a salmon trying to swim up stream....a stream filled with hookers and drugs.

Best not to go in there right?..... *wink*
There are ways to avoid the madness by staying outside of the downtown core, but you’d miss out on a cultural phenomenon that much like Vegas, I think everybody needs to experience at least once in their lifetime.

They have these amazing vending machines around the city that serve "warm" burgers and hot dogs 24/7.  


Seems like a terrible idea during the day, but right around 4am they are the voice of reason.  I was out one night and challenged another guy to see who could eat an entire column of food (Ry I think you'd appreciate that challenge).  Neither of us had enough change on us or else it probably would have gone down....I am now glad it did not.

Rembrandtplein – big party spot during the week:



Dam Square – unofficial middle of downtown Amsterdam:

Statue in the middle of Dam Square remembering both World Wars

Street performers are all over Dam Square
I have to mention how bicycle-centric Amsterdam is.  Bikes are EVERYWHERE, it’s crazy! 

Outside Amsterdam Central train station
Also bikes have a right-away over cars and even pedestrians it seems.  Much like taxi drivers in Toronto or New York they won’t stop for you, they will run your ass over without skipping a beat.  You’re constantly on the lookout while walking to see where the next bike is coming from.  I had a few close calls when I first got there and wasn’t used to how many there are

So if you can’t beat them, join them right?  So after back to back pub crawl nights I needed a break from the chaos (as did my liver, wallet, dignity etc) so I grabbed a rental bike and decided to get out of Amsterdam for a day and see the Dutch countryside.  With such a high population of bikers, there are lots of well marked paths in and out of the city that make it easy. 

I opted for a modest 30km trek just north of Amsterdam that bounces around small towns, windmills and waterfront.  Once out of the city limits I was treated to some nice views.

Dedicated bike paths are everywhere


The Red Dragon....she's a beaut!




I forgot my tripod so I had to opt for the "balance on something flat and try to look cool" self picture
As you can see there were many small towns with no real infrastructure other than a corner store and gas station if that.  Perfect for a leisurely bike ride through the countryside.....unless

!@#%*&
Completely flat front tire about 2/3 through my trip ...still 10km to go, awesome.  I asked around a town nearby if anybody had a pump or spare tire or what not, but couldn’t find anything.  The bike was still rideable however so I opted to finish the journey back to Amsterdam instead of hitching a ride.  Those last 10km weren’t fun but I managed to power through them.  The bike shop gave me half off when I told them of my ordeal, so it wasn’t a total loss...not to mention the awesome quad workout I got!

Fun city....so fun I even bought a t-shirt.  As I'm posting this I await a 9:30am bus to Bath which I'm staying at for the day, then catching a train to Bristol Airport and a evening flight to Dublin.  I can't wait to see Ireland.  Leprechauns and Guinness baby!

4 comments:

  1. Awesome blog,Shawn! Leaving jackets etc behind when drinking is a nuisance for sure but it is also a sign of truly living in the moment. You did that when you were a kid without the alcohol.

    What really blows me away about this blog is the pics you took on your ride through the countryside. I could enlarge any of them & hang them on my wall.

    Your D wants me to mention that your choice of words is great too. Very entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Columnal Challenge! Can't believe it didn't happen - such a good idea. That is a pretty big fail that nobody had a spare innertube in Amsterdam with all the bikes. Everyone probably just wanted to see if you'd keep going on the flat! Glad to hear you survived Amsterdam and got a good quad workout at the same time. Onwards to the UK!

    ReplyDelete
  3. M&D - Some things never change regarding me leaving things behind then! The countryside bike-ride was amazing, one of my highlights so far for sure!

    Ry - Yea we were all pretty bummed it didn't happen...but thankful the next day for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. U nailed the "cool" self pic btw. The lean against the fence was for the win

    ReplyDelete