Where am I right now?

Saturday, July 23, 2011

England - London and Bath

Earl grey and scones baby!  Now is it sc-own or sc-on?...ah who cares they’re amazing and they’re everywhere in England.  There needs to be scone vendors out on street corners just like hot-dog vendors.  I can see myself smashing back a 6-pack of scones after a late night at a bar.  I wouldn't be the coolest looking guy eating scones, so maybe they could man them up a bit by adding meat or something.  Yea like a meat-lover scone...someone make this happen right now.

Anyways I opted to save some coin and take a 10 hour bus from Amsterdam to London, which included passage under the English Channel via the channel tunnel.  It was a pretty cool experience as our coach bus drove into a large train which ferried cars, busses and people.  I figured it was like every other tunnel where you just drive through yourself but I guess not.  It was tight quarters for that bus let me tell you, he may have had 2 feet of room on each side as he parked the thing inside the train.


Arrived in London after an exhausting day of travel at what may be the best hostel I’ve stayed at yet.  St. Christopher’s Village is part of the legendary chain of St. Christopher hostels.  This thing was massive and run like a well-oiled machine.  Included was a full bar called Belushi’s which had something going on every night (10% discount when you stay at the hostel), several lounges for hanging out, a movie theatre and roof-top terrace/bar!  I definitely recommend staying here to anybody going to London anytime soon.
London is big, expensive and touristy, but I still enjoyed it.  There’s a landmark on every corner so it’s easy to hop from one to another.

Parliament and Big Ben
Big Ben

London Eye in the background
View from the London Eye
Some idiot in a telephone booth
Buckingham guards
Buckingham Palace
Yellow on the flag above Buckingham means the Queen is in....neat
"Hmm what's that?  I'm sorry I can't hear you over how AWESOME MY LION IS"
Too much ale for this guy
My daily post-lunch nap in a park
Clock in Trafalgar Square counting down the time until the Olympics come to town
London Tower and the crown jewels
London Bridge caught in action
It was a pretty typical London experience I guess.  But I didn’t want to leave England just yet so I headed to the town of Bath which is a few hours west of London.

Bath is famous for its Roman Bath’s which date back to 60-70AD and have been modified and built up over the years.   Don’t bother brining your swim suit though, no actual bathing is allowed (I learned this after doing a cannonball off the 2nd story balcony....nailed the landing obviously).

The main bath house
One of many statues overlooking the bath...I believe he doubles as a lifeguard


Where the hot springs enter the baths....you can even see the gases bubbling to the surface
Excess water run off from the springs...a million litres per day goes through the Bath houses.
Bath is small town but very nice, albeit very touristy.


Bath Abbey Church
These townhouses overlooking Royal Victoria Park are sought after and often stayed in by visiting celebrities.
Royal Victoria Park
Ireland is on deck baby!


3 comments:

  1. OK I am working on the Meat Lover Scone Cart. I have arranged to appear on Dragon's Den to pitch the idea next month. Please mail me some scones as I can't seem to make any good ones - minor setback. Great London pics - camera is still shooting pure I see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorilla pod in action?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had ham & cheese scones but nothing like my meat pie. You send me scones & I'll send you pie.

    Most of what you show me I haven't seen, Shawn but Bath I can honestly say "Been there done that" & thoroughly enjoyed it.

    See you. M&D

    ReplyDelete